MATERIALS AND CARE
We want your Myleti jewellery pieces to last, so here are some top tips to maximise their longevity and keep them looking beautiful;
- Remove jewellery prior to exercising, washing your hands, bathing, showering, cleaning and going to bed.
- Apply beauty products, lotions and perfumes before wearing your jewellery.
- Polishing cloths can be used on sterling silver, gold vermeil and gold filled. Only polish lightly on any plated areas (gold vermeil) to ensure not to wear away the plating.
- Store in a cool dry place. I recommend that you store your pieces individually in the cotton pouches provided to you with every order, as silver in particular will begin to tarnish in sunlight and air.
At Myleti we craft our designs in sterling silver, gold vermeil and gold filled, so are very safe for anyone who is prone to jewellery allergies.
Here is an explanation to the qualities we offer:
- Sterling Silver - All of the silver we use is of a high quality and sourced only from verified British companies. We try to use as much 'Eco Silver' as possible, which is just as premium and is still classified as sterling.
- We do not use 'gold plate'. You will often see in high street brands the term 'gold plated' used a lot. This means that there will be a base metal used of either brass or copper, which has then been plated on the surface with a very thin layer of gold (under 0.25 microns). It is known as 'flash plating' and will wear very easily and quickly.
- Gold Vermeil - We use this finish a lot in our jewellery. It has a base of solid sterling silver, which has then been coated with a thick layer of 18k gold (2.5 microns for for all pendants and earrings etc. 3 microns for rings, to ensure the plating lasts). It is very safe for sensitive skin and ears.
- Gold Filled - This is actually more valuable than gold vermeil. It contains a very thick layer of 10k gold on the outside of a brass or copper core. The way the gold is bonded, makes it very durable and the next best thing to solid gold, but without the high price tag. It is also very safe for sensitive skin.
Cross Section Of The Gold Terminologies